Peaceful Mountain Acupuncture

A weekly blog about Acupuncture and Traditional Chinese Medicine.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rio Rancho, New Mexico, United States

This blog is going to be, primarily a venue for me to express my thoughts about Life and the complexities of the physical plane. My story is simple, I am an easy going individual and a moderate recluse. I am comfortable walking or sitting, talking or being silent. I am always seeking new friends and acquaintenances. I tend to look deeply and question myself about the lesson behind the experience. If you like what you read, please leave me a note, if you have a blog please leave me a link so I can read your writing as well. Thanks

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Still Walking

I got to do my presentation to the University of Arizona's Cancer Support Group on May 2nd. To say that I had butterflies in my stomach would be a mild understatement. Though I learned a long time ago if you have butterflies in your stomach the thing to do is get them to fly in formation!

The presentation went very well. I could not help but notice that the number of attendies was down by about one third to one half, but that is OK.

At the end of the presentation, during the question and answer period one of the social workers asked a really GREAT question.

"What do you tell a patient that wants to do herbs, but his or her Oncologist refuses to let them?"

The reason I like this question so much is it came from the audience, but it addresses exactly the isue at hand. Patients are requesting acupuncture for all kinds of issues and one of the road blocks they run into is: their allopathic doctors.

What did I answer? Well, one of my challenges in life is I seem to be blunt. Honest, but direct. I said, "In my opinion what needs to happen is we need to open a dialogue with the oncologist, to allay any concerns he or she may have. But, in the final anaylisis it is entirely up to the patient. The patient is the one that is experiencing the side effects of the chemotherapy, and it is THE PATIENTS BODY AND THE PATIENTS LIFE. We just have to inform and support that patient as he or she makes his or her own decision."

The audience took that with mixed response. The ones that are truly patient advocates were ready to applaud. Others were not as enthused...

I am respectful of the doctors that are concerned about introducing herbs into the process of chemotherapy, but I want to address the concern head on, with factual information and research. I feel that many times what I am addressing is not factual concerns, but rather concerns borne from lack of knowledge.

One very exciting part of the presentation was when one of the doctors said he wants to get acupuncture available in the new cancer hospital the Univeristy is building. That was great news...

But as I always say: "If you put that with $2 you can get a cup of coffee downtown. That is all it is worth." At this point in time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home