Peaceful Mountain Acupuncture

A weekly blog about Acupuncture and Traditional Chinese Medicine.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rio Rancho, New Mexico, United States

This blog is going to be, primarily a venue for me to express my thoughts about Life and the complexities of the physical plane. My story is simple, I am an easy going individual and a moderate recluse. I am comfortable walking or sitting, talking or being silent. I am always seeking new friends and acquaintenances. I tend to look deeply and question myself about the lesson behind the experience. If you like what you read, please leave me a note, if you have a blog please leave me a link so I can read your writing as well. Thanks

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Finally making in-roads

Well next month I get to give a presentation to the University of Arizona's Cancer Support Group. This is a group of doctors, nurses, psychiatrists and others that meet monthly to discuss new research in cancer and how to improve the "journey of cancer." I have been going there for over a year now. I keep trying to make in-road into the world of oncology. No bites yet...

This presentation will be my first. It is challenging in that I have to present to a group of highly educated individuals, yet they know next to nothing about Chinese medicine. ?How do you speak at a highly intelectual level while simultaneously addressing the most basic concepts? This should be fun... I think.

This presentation came about because a couple of months ago Dr. Krouse said that the oncology community is noticing a higher corelation of individuals that have or had lung cancer and then develop colorectal cancer and they do not have any idea of why or how. Being the brave, yet foolish guy that I am I stuck up my hand and said, "That is easily explained through the system of Chinese medicine. The Lung and Large Intestine are a paired organ system." It is rare that I have recieved such a perplexed look from any one. He just said, "Oh." Then changed the subject.

After the meeting one of the others came up to me and said not to worry about his reaction, that is how he responds when something stretches his envelope farther than he is comfortable.

I then approached his assistant and asked if Icould get in rotation for a presentation. So, here I go.

It is challenging in that I will have less than 40 minutes to explain TCM and answer any questions. My approach is to talk about the side effects of chemotherapy and how acupuncture and herbs can help in reducing these side effects. This has been called "Walking on Two Legs;" one leg is the allopathic medicine, the other leg is the traditional medicine. We'll see if I have two legs to stand on when they get through with me... ;-)

Till the next blog.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home