Peaceful Mountain Acupuncture

A weekly blog about Acupuncture and Traditional Chinese Medicine.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rio Rancho, New Mexico, United States

This blog is going to be, primarily a venue for me to express my thoughts about Life and the complexities of the physical plane. My story is simple, I am an easy going individual and a moderate recluse. I am comfortable walking or sitting, talking or being silent. I am always seeking new friends and acquaintenances. I tend to look deeply and question myself about the lesson behind the experience. If you like what you read, please leave me a note, if you have a blog please leave me a link so I can read your writing as well. Thanks

Saturday, February 04, 2006

This does not fit

It is always interesting to me when I run into a case that does not fit the model. Let me give you an example.

I am treating a lady for "dermatitis" which usually manifests as a variety of "Wind Heat erupting through the skin;" although often there are more signs of heat than of wind. It is called Wind because it suddenly appears or disappears; heat because it shows as red skin.

My patient has virtually NO signs of heat or or Yin deficiency. That is one thing and I can accept that not all things fit into all cases. Then there is her tongue.

Her tongue is a very-pale purple. Imagine sky-blue, but only purple. The thing about a purple tongue is it indicates Blood-Stasis. Blood-Stasis usually manifests with some pain, somewhere. Or even painful periods and or clots. Not with this lady. H,mmm another piece of the puzzle that does not fit....

Abdominal palpation is a good way of assesing the state of the Organs. The Japanese use this as almost an art form. Her abdomen shows no sign of stasis.


So today, I am sitting here wondering what I am missing or overlooking. I am re-reading my notes and cross checking my references. So far all I am finding is that this does not fit....

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've heard of lots of cases where western doctors are stumped by a particular set of symptoms. So apparently, it happens in Chinese medicine also.

10:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home