Peaceful Mountain Acupuncture

A weekly blog about Acupuncture and Traditional Chinese Medicine.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rio Rancho, New Mexico, United States

This blog is going to be, primarily a venue for me to express my thoughts about Life and the complexities of the physical plane. My story is simple, I am an easy going individual and a moderate recluse. I am comfortable walking or sitting, talking or being silent. I am always seeking new friends and acquaintenances. I tend to look deeply and question myself about the lesson behind the experience. If you like what you read, please leave me a note, if you have a blog please leave me a link so I can read your writing as well. Thanks

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Bond's of Motherhood

Today I heard an interesting story on NPR. It seems that modern science is finding something new and unexpected in every mother's blood. Fetal cells from her babies.

The placenta is an amazing sac that encases the fetus as it matures before delivery. It has been accepted that the placenta keeps the baby's cells inside and away from the mom's cells, otherwise her immune system would turn against these cells as they are "not-self."

Now scientists are finding fetal cells in the mothers blood cells. They have all kinds of research going on to investigate this and the immunological implications it creates. One theory is that the fetal cells help protect the mother for decades after delivery, and that might explain why men have a higher degree of certain auto-immune diseases. Now of course this does not mean that all mothers can fight all diseases, otherwise Mom's would live to be 100 and never have cancer or any other disease. I am not saying it is a cure-all, but it is something new for the scientist to investigate.

Of course I want to think about a different connection.

I think this can explain the subtle connection a Mom has to her children. Now before I get too far off on this I want to say that I know dad's can have a pretty strong connection to his kids as well. But from my limited perspective it does not seem as powerful as THE MOMS super connection.

How can a mother know when something happens to her child that is 1,000 miles away, before the phone rings? How can a mother know when something is wrong,sometimes even before her child realizes it?

If her blood is still carrying the cells of her child maybe there is some way of these cells knowing something has happened to their other cells (her child).

I think that this can also explain how when a little baby is screaming and is picked up by her mom he or she will usually calm down quicker than if held be anyone else. Possible the two sets of cells can re-harmonize and that creates a calmer expression of the baby's beingness.

Who know's. Maybe I just drank too much coffee and none of this is connected.....

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You pose some interesting questions, but don't forget there are also the mothers who abandon their children, mothers who do not want their children, and other un-loving behaviors. I'd be more inclined to believe in the health benefits for the mom (thereby ensuring, or trying to ensure that she'll live long enough to raise the child).

1:16 PM  
Blogger Michael Clifford, L. Ac. said...

Yes, some mothers do not want their children, just like some children do not want their mothers. However I was just posing the line of thought to stir things up and see what others think.

Yes I do think that there are health benefits that help ensure that the mother is around long enough to feed the baby. But I also think there is more.

2:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home