Peaceful Mountain Acupuncture

A weekly blog about Acupuncture and Traditional Chinese Medicine.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rio Rancho, New Mexico, United States

This blog is going to be, primarily a venue for me to express my thoughts about Life and the complexities of the physical plane. My story is simple, I am an easy going individual and a moderate recluse. I am comfortable walking or sitting, talking or being silent. I am always seeking new friends and acquaintenances. I tend to look deeply and question myself about the lesson behind the experience. If you like what you read, please leave me a note, if you have a blog please leave me a link so I can read your writing as well. Thanks

Saturday, February 18, 2006

A different way of Teaching

Two things come to mind this morning that I want to share. First of all I have registered a web domain and am in the process of creating my web page. If you know of any really cool alternative medicine web pages please send me the address so I can check it out...

http://www.pcflmntn.com

The other area I have been thinking about is my teaching method; and how, like most everything else I do, it is somewhat different. In particular I am thinking of how I am approaching the OB/GYN class. I have shifted the format into something new.

Most of the OB/GYN texts and classes focus on the symptoms ~ painful periods, early, late, prolonged, whatever. That is not how I am teaching this class.

What else would you expect??

I am focusing on more of the root cause: Blood Deficency, Heat, Cold, Stagnation, etc, etc. It is challenging because we end up bouncing all over the text book; page 154, page 247, page 603. But when we focus on one particular root cause and then follow it out to the branch (symptoms) it is much easier to track.

Also the students are getting to the point that they can pick out the underlying issues and that will make them more effective practitioners, which is what this is all about in the first place.

The first few classes the students had a perplexed look on their faces, and I kept questioning my approach. But now after the mid-term I am seeing that it is working.

I had the idea, before I started this class of breaking the information apart in a different way. Excess/Deficiency, Heat/Cold, Stagnation/Damp/ Phlegm and combinations of these. I was told that might be too confusing, but I trusted my intuition and I am glad I did.

I guess to be fair we should ask the students if they are... ;-)

Till the next blog.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home