Peaceful Mountain Acupuncture

A weekly blog about Acupuncture and Traditional Chinese Medicine.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rio Rancho, New Mexico, United States

This blog is going to be, primarily a venue for me to express my thoughts about Life and the complexities of the physical plane. My story is simple, I am an easy going individual and a moderate recluse. I am comfortable walking or sitting, talking or being silent. I am always seeking new friends and acquaintenances. I tend to look deeply and question myself about the lesson behind the experience. If you like what you read, please leave me a note, if you have a blog please leave me a link so I can read your writing as well. Thanks

Sunday, October 29, 2006

Powerful Seeds

A few months ago I wrote about using 'auricular medicine' or ear seeds to treat some of the patients I am honored to serve. It has been interesting, sometimes these seed work extremely well, sometimes they do not seem to have a direct effect. I suspect that when there are not obvious results one out of two things has happened. Either I mis-locacted the seed (imagine close to 200 points on each ear, if you are off by "just a little bit" it is like you are choosing another point entirely), or the results are more subtle than we are looking. That was not the case last week.

I am treating a 52 y.o. woman for the complications from uterine fibroids. Her fibroids are approximately the size of a four-month-old fetus. She is going to have a complete hysterectomy and I do think that is a good choice considering how the fibroids are growing so rapidly. In the last six months they have grown from the size of few pea's. Whenever anyone is having a growth of that size it has to be addressed, and surgery might be the best choice.

Anyway, from a TCM perspective fibroids are one manifestation of blood stasis. The treatment then is to "Invigorate the Blood and Resolve the Stasis." Because she is scheduled for surgery I am not giving her herbs at this time. I used acupuncture and the ear seeds.

Even though she is 52 she is still having a reular menstrual cycle (I will write more about this increasingly frequent phenomenon in a future blog). Two days later her period started, it was EXTREMELY HEAVY, to the point she was concerned about it. After four days of that she felt that the change/cause of this was the ear seeds. She removed them and within four hours her period had stopped.

The point that I had the seed on was the 'uterus point.' I believe that the seed had activated the energy affecting her uterus and was "Invigorating the Blood." On a physical level she is feeling better than she has in several months. I will see her after her surgery to restore the flow of the meridians that get disrupted from the surgery.

What amazed me about this was how her cycle had changed so drastically and when she removed the seeds her period stopped in a few hours. I know that the ears are very effective but this was one of the most graphic examples I have seen.

4 Comments:

Blogger Kris said...

Dude. I used to DIG the ear seeds. A guy in northern MN treated me for back pain and migraines. It's absolutely incredible. Our local Oncology Nursing chapter start-up had a local acupuncturist present the uses for our cancer patients. the science behind this is getting awesome. Now, if we can get more insurance companies to get on board....or pay for ANYTHING for that matter....

7:49 PM  
Blogger Alex Berks practitioner of Chinese Medicine, Licensed Herbalist and Acupuncturist said...

I have many auricular acupuncture stories. Here are two research articles that have tickled me so I posted on my blog.

http://healthwithcancer.blogspot.com/2006/05/auricular-acupuncture-to-reduce-cancer.html
http://healthwithcancer.blogspot.com/2006/05/acupuncture-for-post-thoracotomy-pain.html

Patients want to know how auricular acupuncture works. I tell them that what I learned as an Anthropology student. Ontogeny (in utero development) connects all cells in the body. so that when our toes are growing so are the fingers at the same time. The ear folds have all the layers of tissue and thus represent the whole body. Do you have a better explanation?

5:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

3:57 PM  
Anonymous Best Acupuncture Los Angeles said...

The most common uses of acupuncture include the following; it relieves pain, treats infertility, treats disease, prevents disease, promotes general health, or can be used for therapeutic purposes.

9:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home