Peaceful Mountain Acupuncture

A weekly blog about Acupuncture and Traditional Chinese Medicine.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rio Rancho, New Mexico, United States

This blog is going to be, primarily a venue for me to express my thoughts about Life and the complexities of the physical plane. My story is simple, I am an easy going individual and a moderate recluse. I am comfortable walking or sitting, talking or being silent. I am always seeking new friends and acquaintenances. I tend to look deeply and question myself about the lesson behind the experience. If you like what you read, please leave me a note, if you have a blog please leave me a link so I can read your writing as well. Thanks

Friday, October 13, 2006

Well, that wasn't what I expected

As I have mentioned I am teaching the single herb, or materia medica class this quarter. This is the first of three quarter's of single herbs before they start at least another complete year of herbal formula's and strategies.

Chinese herbolgy is quite intricate and complex. Not only do we have to know the function of each herb, its 'properties' (hot, cold, etc) the channel (meridian) it enters into, we also have to know dosage, toxic limits, signs of overdose, herb-to-drug interactions. It is alot. Then we start to study what happens when you mix the herbs in a formula. How does the addition or subtraction of one herb change a formula's function. What happens when you have 15 herbs in one formula and you need to change two of them because of potential herb-to-drug interactions? What herbs can you substitute for the herbs you removed?

We are covering 350 single herbs over the next three quarters. It is a lot of information to injest, retain and assimilate. But if you are going to safely use herbs it is what has to be done.

So teaching the class is a challenge. I am spending at least 2-3 hours preparing for every hour of lecture time. I am very meticulous in the notes I present, the handouts I give, and as my students found out this week, in the test quesions I ask.

It was the first of five quizzes, not including the midterm and final exams. My pass/fail rate is 1/3. That is not what I expected.

I figure it will either go one out of to ways from here out. Either the students will knuckle down, study their little tails off, and "rise up to the challenge" or I will start seeing a lot of add/drop slips in my mail box at school.

The thing is I know the level of questioning was appropriate, and I also know that these are good students, smart and for the most part they apply themselves to their work.

So what happened?

I think it was a couple of things. First of all, even though I told them what was expected and what the format of the test was, from the feedback I heard they did not understand that. The other part is herbal questions are difficult and it does take a different way of looking at things. Just when they thought it was safe to enter the class room, what happens? They get me as an instructor and I push them.

As I said, it was not what I expected, and I think there will be one out of two ways it will go from here.... I will keep you informed.

BTW, what did you think of my web-page. No one ever said.... ;-(

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home