Peaceful Mountain Acupuncture

A weekly blog about Acupuncture and Traditional Chinese Medicine.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rio Rancho, New Mexico, United States

This blog is going to be, primarily a venue for me to express my thoughts about Life and the complexities of the physical plane. My story is simple, I am an easy going individual and a moderate recluse. I am comfortable walking or sitting, talking or being silent. I am always seeking new friends and acquaintenances. I tend to look deeply and question myself about the lesson behind the experience. If you like what you read, please leave me a note, if you have a blog please leave me a link so I can read your writing as well. Thanks

Friday, June 16, 2006

Some times it does not work

It is interesting how my mind works. I minimize the effects of treatments that work and ponder the ones that don't. I do not think much about the lady with neck & back pain for 17 years that I was able to help in 3 treatments, or the lady that had hot flashes every 90 minutes for the last 6 years that I was able to help. Or any of the other wonderful stories I can share.

The one I am thinking about today is the nice lady that has hot flashes that I have not been able to help. Nine months of treatments, every 3-4 weeks and all we were able to do was reduce the frequency and intensity a little, but no major change.

It is always disappointing when I cannot help someone. Even when I tell myself that this was a complicated case and I did the best I could, I still wonder: What piece of this did I not see? I know that no one single form of medicine can help everyone. I get that. But I just get a little bummed when I can't help my patients. Even though in reality I know that I do help them, and I have even helped this patient. We just did not get the results we wanted.

I know that in the long run this will have helped me to grow and to learn; it is just one of those learning experiences....


On a brighter note, I hosted a chat for the Endometriosis Research Center on Wednesday night. It was fun to try to explain about TCM. I was trying to be the "diplomat" of Acupuncture that I am nationally certified to be. I guess I am an anomaly in that too; I take the title diplomat seriously. I try to educate the public about the medicine every chance I get. Will I get any patients out of this? NO, that is not what it was about. I was trying to give these ladies some avenues of hope to explore.

Anyway it was a fun conversation. "What does the color of my tongue have to do with my health and or pain?" "How do you know I have hot flashes just because there is a huge crack down the centerline of my tongue and it has no coating?" "Why does my belly hurt, like a knife is being twisted in it?"

I tell you, with no kidding, as a guy I am SO GLAD I do not have to experience some of the things that a woman goes through.

That is all for now.
Write if you find water...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home