Peaceful Mountain Acupuncture

A weekly blog about Acupuncture and Traditional Chinese Medicine.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rio Rancho, New Mexico, United States

This blog is going to be, primarily a venue for me to express my thoughts about Life and the complexities of the physical plane. My story is simple, I am an easy going individual and a moderate recluse. I am comfortable walking or sitting, talking or being silent. I am always seeking new friends and acquaintenances. I tend to look deeply and question myself about the lesson behind the experience. If you like what you read, please leave me a note, if you have a blog please leave me a link so I can read your writing as well. Thanks

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Roasting, again

Somewhere over the last week, whoever is in charge "out there" turned the BLAST FURNACE on to Full Roast. It has been over 105 every day for the last week. This becomes one of the 'four seasons' ~ "You've got to be kidding me!!!" is the name of this season.

But on to a more professional level. It has been interesting to me to watch the reactions I get from the University whenever I talk to them about incorporating acupuncture treatments into their new hospital. The individual starts to squirm, then the questions come.

"Has there been any research done on using acupuncture as part of a treatment plan?"
~ Yes the N.I.H. and the National Cancer Institute encourage the inclusion of acupuncture in all treatment plans.

"What about insurance?"
~ Each insurance policy is different, it has to be on a case-by-case basis. But the cost of acupuncture is minimal when compared to the cost of stopping the chemo, or the cost of the personal experience of the side-effects of the chemo.

"Are the herbs safe?"
~ The herbal company I use manufactures their herbs to U.S. F.D.A. Pharmaceutical Guidelines. In particular this company's focus is on herb-to-drug interactions and the formula's reccomended are specifically made to treat the side-effects of chemo and help the body maintain a more normal function.

It can go on like this for as long as I care to talk to them. I do understand part of their concern; they are unfamaliar with these types of treatments. Anything unknown can create fear. SO, I see my function is to educate them about TCM. I am not sure what they see my function as. Maybe they think I am just a pain in the neck...

Then again, maybe I am just less patient than normal because someone turned on the blast furnace... It's going to be close to 105 again today....

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

105° is not so bad!! Why when I was young, we had temperatures of 131° and we liked it that way!

Anyway, you are not talking to these people out in the noonday sun are you? If you make them stand outside, they are really going to think you are a pain in the neck.

Meanwhile enjoy the benefits of central air.

9:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is to let the whole rest of the world know. On the day that Mike whined about 105 degrees, someone from our local paper (in Socorro, NM)took a picture of the thermometer in front of our bank. The picture shows the thermometer reading at 108. So it appears that people who whine at 105 are wimps. Also, somebody please send me an e-mail telling me how to make the degree sign.

1:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home