Peaceful Mountain Acupuncture

A weekly blog about Acupuncture and Traditional Chinese Medicine.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rio Rancho, New Mexico, United States

This blog is going to be, primarily a venue for me to express my thoughts about Life and the complexities of the physical plane. My story is simple, I am an easy going individual and a moderate recluse. I am comfortable walking or sitting, talking or being silent. I am always seeking new friends and acquaintenances. I tend to look deeply and question myself about the lesson behind the experience. If you like what you read, please leave me a note, if you have a blog please leave me a link so I can read your writing as well. Thanks

Saturday, July 07, 2007

A bit deeper

I posted the last article as a way to start a discussion about concepts, languages and limitations. I figured Yin/Yang theory is as good of a place to attempt this as any other concept I can think of.

I am in the middle of another interesting book "A Brief History of Qi" (look in my bookstore) that has spurred me along in this thinking process. One of the issues I deal with, both as an acupuncturist as well as being an instructor, is the paradox of having to use words to describe a paradigm that exists outside of language. Yet knowing that to some extent, language both describes and creates reality as we know it.

Let me return to Yin-Yang theory as an interesting example. It is, essentially, quite simple as that article from my class notes explains. But it is also exceedingly complex, subtle and elusive. One of my favorite sayings about this is:

The One

Became the Two

The Two became the Three

The Three became the Ten-Thousand

The "One" is that which created all, or the Tao, or the Word. Essentially it is "the primordial soup that existed before the universe was created." The Two is Yin-Yang, in all its myriad interconnected facets. The Three is the Qi or the dynamic interplay of energy/beingness between the polarities expressed as Yin or Yang. The "ten-thousand" means "all things."
What I find lacking in most discussions about Yin-Yang theory is the acknowledgement of the ONE. This means that the discussion starts off from a polarized, dualistic perspective. It is "this" or it is "that." Hot/Cold, Night/Day, Internal/External; the list goes on, and on, and on, forever.
But unless one accepts and acknowledges that there is something higher or more refined than Yin-Yang theory we are still locked in a dualistic paradigm. I find myself reminded of the words of Albert Einstein: "We cannot solve the problems we are facing by using the same level of consciousness we used when we created them."
Maybe this would read better if I used the word "Consciousness" in place of the One or the Tao.
But my point today is that while Yin-Yang theory is very useful in TCM, it is also inherently limiting. I have to step past these limitations while I incorporate the strengths and resolve the inherent weaknesses of the paradigm.
In closing I will just add a very profound teaching I have been exposed to; "What the two extremes {Yin-Yang} have in common is where you find the Truth." So as I work with a patient, or within myself, I try to not focus on the extremes, but more on the dynamic interplay that exists within the common ground, or stated another way ~ From a dynamic, balanced perspective in the Middle of the Storm. Or maybe think of it this way, a clock pendulum swings back and forth, the lower it is the more extreme the shifts are, yet the higher one ascends the more gentle these same shifts are experienced. It is about ascending in consciousness to that centered, calm point. From there it is simple to change, it is only at the lower levels that the change comes as such a cost (health, relationships, careers, etc.).

3 Comments:

Blogger Aud the Angel said...

I am so glad you didn't have to choose between being an acupuncturist and being a philosopher. It's wonderful that you're both!

9:19 AM  
Blogger donna said...

The audangel sent me the link to your website. I'm so glad she did!
I feel much the same way as you do about the state of our world.
Keep sharing your thoughts, I found them most insightful.

8:33 PM  
Blogger Diane O'Connor said...

I just discovered your blog. It is amazing! I love your entry titled "A bit deeper". Especially when you said that you "try to not focus on the extremes, but more on the dynamic interplay that exists within the common ground, or stated another way ~ From a dynamic, balanced perspective in the Middle of the Storm." That is so well said!

I'm just barely beginning to learn about Chinese Medicine and (being inspired by Wayne Dyer's new book) I am reading the Tao. I'm in perimenopause and looking for relief from insomnia. I ordered something online I don't think I could even pronounce, and I'm considering accupuncture. I practice EFT which has been very helpful but I want to learn more. I'm also kind of a hermit and enjoy solitude (as well as community).

I will continue to check in and I hope you will continue to share your thoughts.

Diane

8:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home