Peaceful Mountain Acupuncture

A weekly blog about Acupuncture and Traditional Chinese Medicine.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rio Rancho, New Mexico, United States

This blog is going to be, primarily a venue for me to express my thoughts about Life and the complexities of the physical plane. My story is simple, I am an easy going individual and a moderate recluse. I am comfortable walking or sitting, talking or being silent. I am always seeking new friends and acquaintenances. I tend to look deeply and question myself about the lesson behind the experience. If you like what you read, please leave me a note, if you have a blog please leave me a link so I can read your writing as well. Thanks

Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Resentment ~ How it affects health.

In an interesting series of events I have been blessed with three patients that are all dealing with various issues of gall bladder dysfunction. Each patient is presenting with different ‘issues’ but have a similar underlying ‘gall bladder issue.’ Two of my patients have had their gall bladder removed, the other has avoided the knife so far. It is always interesting to me to see how allopathic medicine seems to like removing parts of our bodies. Now I know that sometimes it is required if the patient wants to survive, but it is also over utilized as a option that may not be required. I believe that an honest evaluation would agree with that observation. But, be that as it may.

In TCM I have read that if the Gall Bladder is involved there are issues that the patient is holding on to resentment from. I have asked each of my patients if this is true and they have all said ‘yes.’ Of course we all have experiences that we wish would have turned out a different way, I know I have. The issue at hand is ~ can we let go of it and get past the emotions we are carrying from that experience.

A different teacher from my past taught me that the meaning of the word resentment is to re-experience what we did not process at the initial time of the experience.

Think about that for a moment.

If I have a certain experience that I do not give myself permission to express my true emotion about, what happens to that emotion? I have read that the entire purpose of an emotion is to be expressed. That is not to say we should all be walking emotions. As with everything it is a matter of balance.

It is also true that our minds get addicted to the emotions we experience. “Might as well face it. You’re addicted to Love.” Or in this case maybe the addiction is to resentment.

So back to my patients. What are the chances that acupuncture will help them with their experience of ‘gall bladder’ dysfunction? I honestly think that unless each one is willing and able to address and focus on the emotional content under the surface that acupuncture will only be a “band-aid” solution. That is not to say that it cannot help, but it is to say that the issue is not just the physical aspect and until the non-physical aspect is addressed (to some degree) the physical will continue to be a reminder to each of my patients. Stated in another way I am saying we each have to take responsibility for the consequences of the choices we have made. In these examples the choice seems to be to hold on to a past emotional experience and to let that affect their health. From a TCM perspective as well as an energy conservation perspective it seems much easier and healthier to just let it go.

I have told individuals that have ‘hurt’ me that the choice I have is to either forgive them, or forget that they have done that. I won’t do both; if I forgive AND forget I set myself up to let that happen again. I do try to learn from my experiences and to not repeat the painful ones if I can help it.


I’ll try to contemplate more and write more soon.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

that meaning of the word resentment was very interesting to read, thankyou for giving me something to think about...

8:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home